A measles vaccination campaign is currently underway in South Sudan’s Bieh State for the first time since the country’s civil war broke out in December 2013.
The campaign was officially launched in Waat town on Monday.
Duop Rom Kok the director-general of the state health ministry said the exercise will run for four days and targets at least 2,000 children from across the state. Duop reported to Radio Tamazuj on Tuesday.
“We vaccinated 500 children in Waat town since Monday but it is still ongoing. We will extend it to Pulchuol, Motot and Wunbil areas,” he said.
South Sudan Ministry of Health, World Health Organization (WHO) in collaboration with South Sudan partners, launched a campaign to save the lives of 2.5 million children against measles earlier this month.
During the launching of the campaign, South Sudan health minister Riek Gai Kok said that the campaign aims to control the spread of the measle which has affected over 4,000 children and killing 43 lives.
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), measles is a profoundly infectious infection that spreads through the air and is likewise one of the main sources of death among young children.